Thursday, April 9, 2009

Japan food blog: the great, round two

I had to break up my favorite food experiences into two posts, because otherwise it would just have been too long.

Photobucket


On the first morning, we headed out of the hotel early in search of breakfast, and found a tiny, slightly grubby looking restaurant near the Minami-Senju station in Tokyo. This became one of our home bases for breakfast (they were only open in the mornings) while we were there. As a matter of fact, Scott still often will wake up and say, "I wish I could go to that place in Tokyo right now."

Photobucket


There were a few long tables set up, a small kitchen in the back, and a few shelves with plates full of the samples of what they had available that morning. It was typically things like salmon, steamed veggies, fried potato pancakes, and served with sides of miso and rice. Not the typical American breakfast, but superior in so many ways. Sure, I still had to go to McDonald's for a (as much as possible) proper cup of coffee after, but this little place will always epitomize mornings in Tokyo for me.

If I had to give a tip to someone traveling to Japan for the first time regarding food, it would be to hit up the street food stalls. I'll go into it more once I get to the Osaka post, but let me tell you now, some of the best munchies I had were from street vendors. Don't know what it is? Try it anyway, especially if there's a line.

Outside a temple, Tokyo:

Photobucket


The only thing I didn't manage to get my hands on from a stall is a baked yam. I kick myself to this day for it! This lady was selling them outside the big Buddha in Nara; she caught me taking her picture and was none to pleased. If she only knew my displeasure at missing out on her yams...

Photobucket

No comments: