Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Japan food blog: the, err, intersting

While most of the food we had in Japan was absolutely fantastic (hello, best sashimi breakfast ever!) some of it definitely is an acquired taste.

There was really only one restaurant we ate at that I would class as meh. We had headed to Shibuya to do the whole tourist thing and ended up eating there. This is what I refer to as our Bizarre Foods portion of the trip: we ate pretty much every part of a chicken, and some other different snacks I'll honestly probably never try again.

Appetizer- some sort of oragan meat and veggies (this was also served as a first course at several other restaurants as well; this was ok, but not the best variation I tried):

Photobucket


We had no idea what we were ordering, and in retrospect, I'm still not sure what some of it was. Next, we were served noodles with benito flakes on top. The noodles were ramen like and mixed with veggies almost like a chow mien. The unsettling thing about this dish were the flakes; as they heated from the steam coming off the noodles, they writhed around like live worms. Other than that, it was ok.

Photobucket


We sampled some kind of fried chicken part (super rubbery, so it had to be some kind of organ) and roasted eel spines. I fancy myself to be quite an adventurous eater, but I'd have to say no thanks if I were presented with them again.

Pretty, but what is it?

Photobucket


Eel spines anyone?

Photobucket


Finally, the main course! I believe we have here chicken yakitori. Let's try to remember what chewy bits we were eating: I think it's yolk, fat, gizzard, heart, white meat/dark meat, liver (yes please!), wings and skin.

Photobucket


So as far as "bad" goes, it really wasn't all that terrible. Honestly, I'd much rather eat there again than say, KFC. I guess it's just the worst in comparison with the rest of what we ate while abroad.

No comments: